We're glad you stopped by for a (virtual) visit to our farm and to see what we are up to these days.
Plum Granny Farm is a USDA Certified Organic small family farm located in the north central piedmont area of North Carolina. The farm is set on 54 beautiful acres of rolling countryside just south of Hanging Rock State Park in the Capella community.
We are building on our heritage as a NC Century Farm, as the farm has been in the Ferguson family for over 140 years. We grow raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, garlic, ginger, specialty veggies, herbs and cut flowers.
Although full-time farming is fairly new to us, we both have deep connections to our farming heritage. Cheryl grew up on this farm and her father, grandfather and great-grandfather all practiced the art of cultivation on this soil. Ray has his farming roots in Kansas where his mother grew up amid some of the most beautiful soil that has ever been seen.
Our approach to farming is to nurture the soil and the land to return it to its optimal state. Building the soil with cover crops, compost and manure will help us produce better, healthier crops and is an essential part of our sustainability.
We hope you'll stop by frequently to check out our blog and check on the crops. Our website will continue to grow and develop just as our farm continues to do. So join us in our adventure!
Here's to good growing and good eating!
Cheryl & Ray
Photo: Walt Unks, Winston-Salem Journal
Posted by Cheryl Ferguson :: Tuesday, November 24 :: 10:29am
Hello Farm Friends! Happy Tuesday!
Since many of you receive your newsletter at work, we wanted to make sure that you got all of the news before you head out for your Thanksgiving holiday. We aren't trying to confuse you!
What a busy week it's been already. We're trying to do the juggle of getting real farm progress made with getting things ready for Saturday's Small Business Saturday Holiday Market! Clearing and rearranging the greenhouse, harvesting vegetables and turmeric, making jam, setting up the deer fence for the strawberries and getting ready for garlic planting, the week has a very packed to-do list.
Before we dive into a sneak peek at our Small Business Saturday event, we wanted to pause for a moment to say a heart-felt Thank You! Thanks for being a part of the Plum Granny Farm family. Together we’re building a community that shares a passion for sustainable, organic agriculture and together, we CAN make a difference in our food system. Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours.
BB Update: More of an update next week but BB's brother, Abernathy (soon to be called AB) will be coming to live with us on Wednesday. Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well with the transition!
Here are the details of our 2nd Annual Small Business Saturday event on Saturday, November 28 from 10-4 at the farm greenhouse. We've got a terrific line-up of vendors offering beautiful, handcrafted products that are perfect for your Holiday giving:
- Bunny's Trees will provide beautiful and fresh white pine roping perfect for decking the halls
- Chad's Chai and Tea Company will be making his delicious hot chai. Have a cup while perusing the market and check out his packaged teas to take home -- extra special gifts for the tea lover on your list!
- FarmGirl Arts will offer a variety of gifts and hand-sculpted art made from her homegrown, handspun wool including yarns, hand knit bracelets, animal sculptures and ornaments, and wool Dryer Balls.
- Greenberries Farm has upcycled wine cork birdhouses, trivets and coasters, window herb boxes, framed farm prints on canvas, and delicious packaged dried veggies.
- Jewelry by Wonder creates affordable, handcrafted earrings for every style and budget! From simple gemstones to more elaborate designs, you'll find the perfect gift for the earring lover on your list.
- MW Herbs will bring an array of handmade soaps, candles, pain relief and healing salve, lip balms, lotion bars and more. She'll be offering special Holiday pricing on her soaps and gift boxes.
- Rail Fence Farm will provide beautiful wreaths made from Norway Spruce trimmings - with or without a bow! Perfect for gracing your door for the Holidays.
- Truffles NC will bring all things truffle for the foodie on your list -- truffle salt, honey and butter. Both the regular and stocking stuffer sizes will be available.
What's on our Table? In addition to the great products that our guests will be bringing, we'll have gift items and fresh veggies for your Holiday and home needs. In the gift department, we'll have lots of Jams (Old Fashioned Raspberry, Old Fashioned Blackberry, Raspberry-Baby Ginger, Raspberry-Chipotle, Raspberry-Cranberry, Yam's Jam Sweet Potato Butter and Raspberry-Chipotle Molé Sauce) - several varieties will be available in stocking stuffer sizes. There will be Jam Gift Boxes, Garlic Lovers Gift Boxes, garlic braids, fragrant Paperwhite Narcissus, and Mistletoe (each bunch tested and guaranteed to work!)
Since we know you also need to eat, we'll have lots of fresh veggies including Sweet Potatoes (Garnet, Covington and Sweetie Pie), greens (Salad Mix, Friseé, Senposai, Kale - baby & bunches, Swiss Chard), Powdered Turmeric along with fresh Baby Turmeric and Thai Ginger (Galangal), Garlic Powder & Granules and Garlic Sampler bags and culinary garlic. There will also be Horseradish, Kohlrabi, Fresh & Roasted Green Chile -- all Certified Organic!
Come shop small, ya'll!
Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family and friends. We have many blessings to count as we begin to close out 2015 - and you are among them.
Cheryl & Ray